Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Marriage license requirement

Q: My boyfriend and I are both above 21 years of age, and we want to get married, with our parents' consent. But the Local Civil Registrar won't issue a marriage license because my boyfriend can't produce his birth certificate. What can we do?

A: Please point out to the LCR the last portion of Article 12 of the Family Code which states,

"The presentation of birth or baptismal certificate shall not be required if the parents of the contracting parties appear personally before the local civil registrar concerned and swear to the correctness of the lawful age of said parties, as stated in the application, or when the local civil registrar shall, by merely looking at the applicants upon their personally appearing before him, be convinced that either or both of them have the required age."

No comments :