Notes: (1) Please read my post “Plain English, Plain Language or Plain Writing for government offices and private companies in the Philippines.” (2) I conduct seminars for government offices or private companies that want to train their staff in Plain English. Please email me at email@example.com or text 0927-798-3138 for details. (3) For interactive grammar exercises, please visit my “Better English for everyone” website; I also have interactive quizzes on Plain English / Plain Language. (4) If the tables do not look right, try using Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. (5) These revisions are my own and are used only to illustrate Plain English principles. If there are conflicts between my revisions and the official PVAO guidelines on educational benefits, you must follow the official guidelines.
Plain English revisions: using pronouns “I” for the user in the question heading and “you” to directly address the reader; an If/Then table; legalese like “heretofore” is replaced by the simpler word “previously”; and other revisions in the text.
How can I avail of the benefits?
|If you are one of the persons listed below:||and||then ...|
|(1) Veteran of the Philippine revolution against Spain and the Philippine-American War;|
(2) Veteran of the Philippine Army or of any recognized or deserving guerrilla organization that participated in the resistance movement or in the liberation drive during World War II from December 8, 1941 to December 2, 1945;
(3) Veteran of the Philippine Expeditionary Forces to Korea (PEFTOK) during the period from September 15, 1950 to May 31, 1955;
(4) Veterans of the Philippine Civic Action Group or Philippine contingent in Vietnam (PHILCAG) during the period from August 31, 1964 to December 1969.
(5) The unmarried spouse of a deceased veteran; or
(a) A direct descendant of a veteran who renounces the benefit in your favor;Note: Only one descendant can avail of the benefits.
|you have not previously enjoyed educational benefits under the laws of the Philippines or the United States,||upon certification of the Administrator, you may be admitted to any school, college, university or institution authorized by the Government.|
Related posts (Before and After revisions of selected government communications):
- Plain Language revisions: Senate rules of procedure in the impeachment of Chief Justice Corona
- Plain Language revisions: DSWD Travel Clearance for Minors
- Plain Language revisions: Pantawid Pasada Program guidelines
- Plain Language revisions: Public Attorney’s Office guidelines
- Plain Language revisions: RA 9994 Expanded rights of senior citizens
- Plain Language revisions: PDIC notice to Banco Filipino depositors
- Plain Language revisions: BSP Circular No. 702, Series of 2010 on protection of credit card holders
- Plain Language revisions: DepEd Order No. 88 s. 2010